Lately, I have heard a lot of talk about paying for web content. I think a guy on Stewart the other night was saying how we should have to pay for newspapers and whatnot online. As a rule, this is not something that I, as a regular, uninformed consumer, have ever been down with. I don't subscribe to any porn sites and have never regretted it. I get the XMRadio online component as part of my subscription but, if I didn't, I would just pandora or build my own MP3 playlist. Other than that, it has never really been an issue. But it finally hit me just now...
I was at ESPN.com following the preseason baseball games (Giants up 10-4 in the top of the 8th *yay!*) and I saw some articles about the Giants pitching. I read a nice article on the Big Unit. Then I saw something about Timmy (Tim Lincecum, NL Cy Young Award Winner for 2008). I clicked on it and I got to read 2 paragraphs and then told I needed to be a ESPN Insider. WTF? So I click on insider and am treated to $40/year subscription fee...just to read their stupid article. No way...screw them.
You know...a lot of sports blogs I read seem to really hate ESPN. I was always cool with them but I am starting to become more and more annoyed. If it isn't a charge to read their online articles, it's manufactured news, stupid crap stats or overly focusing on idiocy (*cough*A-Rod*cough*). I am starting to slip into that "Hates ESPN" status. I know they probably wouldn't give a flaming rat's ass if they had one, but, if enough people make that fall, it could go poorly for them.
Just sayin'...
-gen
"I JIZZ RIGHT IN MY PANTS EVERY TIME YOU'RE NEXT TO ME
AND WHEN WE'RE HOLDING HANDS ITS LIKE HAVING SEX TO ME
YOU SAY IM PREMATURE I JUST CALL IT ECSTASY
I WEAR A RUBBER AT ALL TIMES IT'S A NECESSITY
Cuz I
JIZZ...IN...MY PANTS
(I jizz in my pants, I jizz in my pants, yes I jizz in my pants, yes I jizz in my pants)"
-Lonely Island, "Jizz in my Pants"
What’s Popular On Streaming Now
2 years ago
1 comment:
Gen, there may be many reasons to dislike ESPN, but I predict you're going to see a lot of this tiered business model soon -- a free level and paid premium level. Up until now, many news/sports sites have been subsidized by their traditional income from old media and/or the hope of future revenues once they developed an audience, but that can't sustain itself. Ever hear the phrase I don't dance for free? Revenue from advertising on websites is a bit like tipping $1 at the stage. It doesn't buy you a lap dance nor make the dancer a living. I suspect, at many sites, there will continue to be some level of advertising-supported material that satisfies most general audiences, but the junkies of a site or subject will be pitched added paid services.
Post a Comment